Saturday, March 6, 2010

Dead Guy Magnet

I'll be the first to admit it. I tried to ignore the dead boy who insisted on hanging around me, but damn, the dearly departed really can be persistent. This particular ghost had been haunting me for the past day and a half. I finally gave in when I was in my room doing "homework". He had been hovering by my window making pathetic moaning sounds.

"Seriously," I said while looking up at him. "Where did you learn to be a ghost?" He stared at me, a look of shock on his face. I know that was harsh, but I just wasn't in the mood. I had enough crap going on in my life lately.

Finally he spoke. "Well its not like I had any warning. One day I was living my fairly average teenage life, next thing I know, I'm dead. Dying can be pretty disorienting. The moaning was my last ditch effort to get your attention." He smiled at me, a kind of lopsided grin, that was somehow familiar. I really looked at him for the first time sense he had been haunting me. Ghosts look kind of like walking (floating?) water colors. Not exactly solid, but not quite transparent either. Anyway I was noticing that this one was kinda cute. His hair was brown with subtle streaks that were lighter, almost blond. His hair had the kind of look that people try to get by frosting theirs. His looked natural. His skin gave the impression of mixed heritage. But not like mine (Black, White and Cherokee) he looked like his mix was either Latino or Native and White. His skin was olive with a hint of coppery brown to it. His eyes, whoa, his eyes were the color of tigers eye. I had to shake myself to stop looking. I didn't need any more dead guys in my life.

I guess now would be a good time to explain that last statement. See I have been gifted with what my mothers (and partially my) people call the second sight. I can see ghosts and other specters. I can also see or more like, feel out vampires, lycanthropes, fairies and other things that aren't supposed to exist. Recently a vampire has shown an interest in me. I'm really trying to stay away, but damn he is hot. But anyway, as if that wasn't enough now here comes yet another dead guy. My biggest question is, are all dead guys hot? Cause if they are, then I hope I never meet any more.

Alright now back to the ghost in my bedroom. "I'm sorry, I know I was too harsh on you," I said while sitting up and brushing my dark wavy hair out of my face. "Its just that I have a lot of stuff going on in my life lately. Thats why I've been avoiding you. Also, I haven't ever had a ghost that I don't know hang around me. So anyway, whats up?"

He looked slightly annoyed before starting to speak. "Well," he started, "I was hoping that you could help me find out how I died."

I just looked at him, waiting for him to be serious. He didn't say anything more so I did. "Your kidding."

"I wish I was Rayne, but I'm not. I don't even think anyone knows I'm dead yet, which brings me to my second request. I also need you to help the authorities find my body."

My mind started spinning, at the same time I realized that I did know this ghost. Or at least I knew of him. "Your Corey Hernandez, that kid who's been missing..." I trailed off, because now I knew that he wasn't just missing. "Shit." I said aloud, then thought to myself, why me?

"Shit is right, so will you help me?" He gave me that lopsided grin again. Damn him.

"Stop the grinning, I know what your doing." I leaned my back against the wall, folded my arms across my chest and gave him my own smile. He just looked at me so I continued. "Your trying to win me over with your charm."

His grin got bigger, "so you think I'm charming eh? Is it working?"

I'm pretty sure my face is as red as a firetruck now. "No and no," I said while trying to gain some kind of composure. "I am going to help you though, but I'll have you know, its because I'm a nice person. Thats all." I said that last, hoping I didn't sound like I was trying to convince myself.

"Mmm hmm." He grinned again, "what ever you say."

Damn him, "thank you would suffice."

"Thank you," he said. And thats how I ended up searching for a killer.

No comments:

Post a Comment